Russia is currently focusing efforts on developing domestic industries and industrializing the country with high-value added production, aiming to depart from a heavy dependence on natural resources. Under such circumstances, the government is proactively conducting activities such as fostering SMEs, which constitute the base of Russian industry, and introduction of foreign technology. It is expected that new business chances for Japanese companies will be created as a result. Meanwhile, Japanese companies still have pointed out some challenges in the business environments such as “volatility of exchange rates,” “complex procedures for customs clearance” and “difficulty in local procurement of materials and parts.” There is not adequate information reaching Japanese companies on all of the opportunities and advantages available in doing business in Russia. Today, based on “a cooperation plan with eight points” made between the leaders of both countries at the summit meeting, there are various kinds of economic exchange occurring between Russia and Japan. Fundamental expansion of exchange and cooperation between SMEs and promoting industrial diversification and productivity in Russia are important themes of the cooperation, which fall under this plan.
- Hiroshi Takada, Chairman and CEO, Organization for Small & Medium Enterprises and Regional Innovation, Japan;
- Kazumasa Shibasaki, President, Fujiko Co., Ltd.;
- Mitsuru Nakata, CEO, NAKATA MFG Co., Ltd.;
- Eiichi Makino, Automotive Parts Localization Director, AVTOVAZ-Renault-Nissan Purchasing Organization;
- Nikita Bantsenkin, Director of Communications and International Cooperation, Federal Corporation for the Development of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship (MSP Corporation);
- Leonid Agafonov, Deputy general director ATD;
- Ilya Tishenko, Chairman of the board "Support of Russia";
- Igor Chernogolov, President GK Penetron-Russia;
- Kazufumi Tanaka, Director of International Business Development Department, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) (moderator).